Well, as many of you know, I have been trying to befriend and share the gospel with one of my schoolmates. Her name is Henrietta, and she is a very sweet girl. Last week Elder Crandell, some of my family members and I had a fast for her. I was planning on giving her a Book of Mormon yesterday, so I figured I'd ask some people to fast with me that she would be willing to accept it, and want to learn more.
Yesterday was Easter of course, and Henrietta was going to go to church with me. She texted me early yesterday morning and said that she didn't think she should go because she doesn't own a dress (she has come with me before, but just felt kind of awkward wearing pants). So she didn't come to church with me. I told one of my friends after church that I was going to start a "Buy Henrietta a Dress Fund," and he immediately got out his wallet and gave me the only cash he had. By that night I had $60 to spend on Henrietta's new dress. The Lord will provide. I was so thankful to the people in my ward who helped me out with this. Some people I don't even know personally gave money to the cause. It was an amazing experience.
Later that night I went over to Henrietta's house to give her some Easter goodies, along with a letter I had written her, a letter Josh had written for her, and The Book of Mormon. I talked to her for a minute when she answered the door and asked her about when she wanted to go dress shopping (I didn't tell her where I got the money). Her response was, well I am meeting with the missionaries at 2:00 on Tuesday, but we could go after that. What?! She was meeting with the missionaries? I didn't even know! So I asked her if it would be ok if I joined her on Tuesday, and she said she'd love to have me there. So I am going to be there with her when she meets with the missionaries for the first time. I am so excited! I have given people copies of the Book of Mormon before, but I've never actually been able to be around when they were taught. Anyway, we visited for a little longer, and after I left she sent me a few texts. She said thank you for giving her the book, and that although it may take her a while, she would read it. I was glad to hear that. She also told me that she started crying about half way through my letter to her, and that Elder Crandell had referred her to Moroni 10:3-5, but she just read the whole chapter. Later that night she sent me another text that just said, "Thank you both for the inspiration."
It just amazes me what we can do when we put our trust in the Lord and let him take the reigns. I truly believe that I was supposed to meet Henrietta so that I could share the gospel with her. She is from Mississippi, and she lives here all alone. Everything in her life has pretty much gone wrong since she moved to Arizona, but she has stayed here for 2 years despite that fact. I am so glad I've gotten to know this wonderful girl, and be touched by her sweet spirit. I hope that she will accept the gospel, because I know it is what she needs in her life right now. I am so excited to really begin the process of teaching her about our church, and our loving Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ!



5 comments:
Melissa told me about this story - It is awesome to read it in your own words, though! It is so wonderful that you are such a good friend to people, Andrea! I will be praying for her to accept the gospel, too! What an awesome experience!
I am so happy for you Andrea! I am happy for Henrietta too! You are such a good example to me, of just opening your mouth, and letting the spirit guide your words. Love you sis!
Andrea, What a special girl you are. I am so proud to be your grandma. You are a great example for us all. Love you very much, Grandma B.
"The Lord will provide." That pretty much sums it up. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in all the things we want that we overlook the fact that He gives us everything we need. We are happy that you are finding joy in sharing the gospel. Keep being a gardener!
Hey precious daughter,
You have always had the spirit of missionary work. I remember when you took your little paperback copy of The Book of Mormon to school with you when you were in elementary school so you could talk to your friends about it during recess. You are a great example to your family and friends. Thank-you! Love you tons!
Post a Comment