Monday, June 30, 2008

"And This Be Our Motto: 'In God Is Our Trust'"

As all of you well know Independence Day is this Friday. I am so greatful that we have this country that has enabled so many things to come to pass in these latter days. America was truly a chosen country from the beginning. Yesterday we sang The Star Spangled Banner as the opening hymn in sacrament meeting. We all stood as we sang with all our hearts about our love for this country. Now I've known the first verse of the national anthem for as long as I can remember, but I can honestly tell you that I had never paid attention to the other verses of the song. Anyway, as we were singing the song yesterday the last verse really hit me hard. It says,

"O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand, Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation; Blessed with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause is just, And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

This verse touched me so much that I started crying. I know that during times like these it is hard to trust in God when it comes to this country. I have decided that I will do my part, whatever I can do to help this country the best I can, but the rest I must leave up to the Lord. I know he will not forsake us as we go through this presidential election. Even though there are really no wonderful options at this time, we can do our best to do our part to elect a president who actually might believe in God, instead of trying to be one himself.

It makes me sick to think that people are out there trying to make everything "Godless". I hope that my kids will grow up saying "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands; one nation, UNDER GOD, Indevisable, with liberty and justice for all." I am so thankful for the founders of this nation and for their trust in the God. It gives me hope for the time to come. Well, these are just some of my thoughts about what's going on in the world right now. I hope they weren't too preachy.

3 comments:

Geoff and Emily said...

What a thoughtful post, Andrea. It gives me hope to hear someone of your age who actually has her head on straight... of course, I already knew you did, but I think it may be the younger generation of voters that decide this election, and unfortunately, a lot of them are ignorant as a rock. But either way, it is just an election, and the world will go on. We may have to suffer for some of the stupid decisions that will be made, but overall, we will be OK if we are prepared and doing what's right. Remember, "if you do what's right, you have no need to fear, for the Lord, thy helper will ever be near." I believe that. You can't always tell, because of the fact that I worry so much too, but I do, in my heart, believe that.

Kent and Jan said...

I was so proud to read the feelings of your heart in this posting, and to realize that you are our daughter. You definitely have your heart and head in the right place. Very thoughtful and well stated, sweetheart. The Lord will not utterly forsake this nation, and you will see His had working in miraculous ways to preserve us.
Love, Dad

The Crider Clan said...

Beautifully written! The National Anthem always makes me cry! We really are blessed to live in the Country, that God preserved for us. It makes me so sad that so many of the citizens of the United States do not think God had anything to do with the fact that this is a great country. Like the USA is so great, that we don't need God. They have no idea how this country was made great! So sad! But, we who know the truth can still speak up and try to influence people for good, and I think you did that with this post! I love you sis!

Melissa